Paternity in Montana

Montana law presumes that a child born during the marriage is the biological child of the husband. Sometimes this is not the case, but as a general rule it works fairly well. If you believe someone else is the father, you can establish paternity by a court or administrative judgment, decree, or order.

Likewise, if the parents of a child are not married, and one of the parents questions or denies paternity – you will need to bring an action to establish paternity. Establishing paternity can be very important for child support and (when questioned or challenged) an important fact to establish. And, aside from child support reasons, simply knowing the true biological father of a child can bring certainty and security that is worth the effort.

If you are unsure of a child’s father, or interested in pursuing an action for paternity, please call me today to schedule an appointment.